About Us | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Guidelines | Terms of Service
Today's date is:

<< Prev 1 2 399 100 101 Next >>

24th October 2016
alleged drug pusher killed
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on October 24, 2016, 6:32 pm


October 24, 2016

MAASIN CITY – An alleged drug pusher was killed when he attempted to shoot it out with the policemen during a buy-bust operation at Mantahan village on late Monday afternoon.

Police identified the victim as Mark Lorzano, who resides at said barangay. His companion, Andro Milloren was arrested.

Southern Leyte PNP provincial director, PSSupt. Warren de Leon, who was at the crime scene, said Lorzano drew a 45 caliber when police operatives tried to arrest him prompting the arresting officers to shoot him during a buy-bust operation.


The victim and his companion tried to drive off their motorcycle after sensing that the poseur buyer was a policeman but was block by the service vehicle used by the apprehending policemen.

"Nanglaban kaya patay. Tingnan mo kasama nya buhay kasi hindi lumalaban," said De Leon.

According to the police director, the victim was the sixth killed in a legitimate police operation in the province and 42 others were arrested since the start of “operation tokhang”.

20th October 2016
National Union of Journalists of the Philippines Statement
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on October 20, 2016, 4:40 am

October 20, 2016

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines deplores the glaring impunity with which the state’s security forces increasingly violate people’s basic rights.

We will mince no words here. What happened at the US embassy on Wednesday, when a weaponized police van was used against protesters, was a clear case of violence by the state against its own people.
Members of media were not spared.

Wences Balinguit of Southern Tagalog Exposure was arrested by the Manila Police District despite having identified himself as a journalist. And Jaja Necosia of Kilab Multimedia was shooting video of a policeman assaulting one of the passengers in a jeepney that was already leaving the area when he was punched by the officer. Pictures of this incident indicate the officer was the same PO3 Franklin Kho who ran over protesters with the police van.

Video footage of the dispersal’s aftermath also showed heavily armed SWAT personnel heckling reporters and trying to block cameramen covering the arrest of an injured protester.

Earlier in the day, in Antipolo City, reporter Olan Bola of radio station dzBB found himself arrested and slapped with obstruction of justice charges when he tried to interview a security guard and an officer identified as PO2 Puruganan while covering a hit-and-run incident. Bola’s blood pressure shot up while he was being held at the Antipolo station and had to be taken to the Klinika Antipolo, where he was treated under police guard.

We have received other reports of state agents attempting to prevent journalists from doing their work and even threatening them if they persist.

All this, of course, is happening within the bigger picture of the wanton violation of that most basic right – to life – in a “war” in which human rights and due process are seen as nuisances and those supposed to serve and protect and enforce the laws are assured of immunity for any “collateral damage” they may cause. Where perception, no matter if based on misinformation or outright prevarication, is held as more important than the truth, and the truth-tellers treated as the enemy for belying the preferred narrative.

To be sure, impunity has been with us for a long, long time, fueled by official apathy toward violations of people’s rights and the aversion of government after government to dissent.

It is clear from where this impunity springs. We have always said that what leaders say or do not say, what they do or do not do, resound among those who believe in them and will often be taken as gospel truth or even marching orders.

Thus, the silence of past presidents to the wanton violation of rights helped fuel the impunity with which these rights were regularly violated by agents of the state and their cohorts. But never, and again we mince no words, have we ever had a leader, President Rodrigo Duterte, who has so openly dismissed human rights and repeatedly exhorted law enforcers that they are above the law, who has regularly and publicly wished death and mayhem on those he perceives as the enemy.

While we may demand – and we DO demand – an immediate investigation and swift action on these assaults on the freedoms of the press and free expression, even if our demands are met, so long as the signals emanating from the center of power continue to see the rights and liberties of the people as obstacles rather than ideals to be protected and expanded, we hold little hope that such gross disregard for basic rights will end soon.

Dabet Panelo
NUJP Secretary General
NUJP Hotline 09175155991

2nd August 2016
Its a go for Weesam Express
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on August 2, 2016, 11:28 am


August 2, 2016

MAASIN CITY – Weesam Express top official has confirmed on Tuesday (August 1) that one of their fast craft will have its maiden voyage on August 10, in time of the city’s Charter Day celebration.

 Daisy Sypiecco, Weesam Marketing manager, told the The Reporter online in mobile phone interview that “it’s a go. We will have our maiden voyage on August 10.”

She added, “in fact we are on our way to Maasin city with our vice president and 10 board members of the company to finalize our entry.”

Sypiecco said the fare would be affordable in our three class accommodation with the economy at P500, for tourist class P600 and business class P700.

According to Pascal Canning, an official of Tourism Association of Southern Leyte, their group (TASL) the Tourism office made the initiative to make Weesam’s entry into the city.

During a press conference last week with Sypiecco, TASL and some members of Southern Leyte chamber of commerce, Philippine Ports Authority manager Rody Morano expressed his excitement saying “We are very excited ma’am our ports are very much ready and besides we are long deprived of a comfortable ride to Cebu please make it happen.”

27th July 2016
Weesam Express to ply Maasin-Cebu route
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on July 27, 2016, 3:11 am


July 27, 2016

MAASIN CITY – Businessmen in the city were upbeat over the possibility of a fast craft plying the Maasin-Cebu-Maasin route daily after a visit of Weesam Express executive.

In a press conference on Wednesday held at Kinamot restaurant, Daisy Syppieco, Weesam marketing manager assured the members of Tourism Association of Southern Leyte (TASL) and the members Southern Leyte Chamber of Southern Leyte headed by baker Effipania Sy, that her boss is just waiting for my return to Cebu.

According to TASL official, Pascal Caning, the TASL initiated the talks with Weesam with Capitol tourism head Nedgar Garvez.

“After ocular inspection of the port facilities here and their new port in Guadalupe and of course around the city, I called my boss of the great possibility of favorable entry of our company,” Sypiecco told the businessmen.

She added that “with your overwhelming support I could say that we may have our maiden voyage by first or second week of August,” to the applause of her audience.

“We are very excited ma’am,” said Rody Morano, Philippine Ports Authority manager in the city. “Our ports are very much ready and besides we are long deprived of a comfortable ride to Cebu please make it happen.

He added that our port is being monopolized by one shipping company and it leaves Maasin midnight and very early dawn.

Morano also said there is no worry about south monsoon (habagat) because we have a very safe port in Guadalupe village which is new. Sypiecco confirmed having visited the port.

For his part, Pascal Canning, owner of posh Caimito hotel, pitched that Maasin is very much improved, the people are wealthy compared to nine or so years ago.

The Weesam marketing manager who claim she has a voice in her company’s decision making said, “I don’t want to make sip-sip with you guys but I also have a say in our company’s decision so I might as well make it happen.

She said the fare may come around P500-600 in their business class and lower on their economy class.

The possible entry of Weesam Express was made by the Tourism office, headed by Nedgar Garvez during a travel mart held in Cebu city last year.

Maasin had its last taste of a fast craft vessel long before Maasin became a city. The city will have its 10the anniversary on August 10.

22nd July 2016
DA to pour P100M for abaca rehab
Posted by Jani Arnaiz, Chief Editor on July 22, 2016, 9:46 am


July 21, 2016

MAASIN CITY – The Department of Agriculture will download P100 million in abaca industry rehabilitation fund to Sogod LGU contrary to what DA secretary Manny Pinol has said during a gathering of farmers organization in Sogod, Southern Leyte last week.

The Agriculture secretary was in Sogod July 14 upon the invitation of former vice governor Sheffered Tan and Emmy Tan, reelected mayor of Sogod. Sheffered ran and lost to come backing Gov. Damian Mercado. Pinol claimed that Sheffered is a close friend of his younger brother.

In a press conference at the mayor’s office after addressing the farmers, Pinol committed that P100 million of the P2Billion left unspent by the DA will be used to rehabilitate Abaca industry in region 8, composed of six provinces in Samar and Leyte islands.

He said that all the money will be disposed before December “or else it go back to the national treasury.”

“It’s up to Sogod how fast they can produce the “inusa” variety,” said Pinol when asked if the amount will all be for Sogod.

He pointed out that P50M is allotted for the immediate procurement of planting materials. “This is however, a plant now pay later program”

He informed that President Rody Duterte knew about his coming to the province. Duterte was born in Maasin City. A decade ago, the abaca industry in the province was wiped out by bunchy top.

In a separate audience with Gov. Mercado, Vice Gov. Christofer Yap and all the mayors aside from Tan, the DA secretary said the same about the allocation intended for Eastern Visayas.

However, in article published in the DA website, the secretary said initial funding of P100 million (M) will be downloaded to LGU of Sogod through its Mayor Imelda U. Tan.

It was also reported in two other media outlets.

The reported downloading of the amount to Sogod LGU, doesn’t sit well with other provincials officials. They were asking why when the Secretary had said it will for Eastern Visayas.

When sought for his comment on Wednesday, Pinol in mobile interview told the Inquirer “what’s wrong with that?”

He added, “I can assure you that the P100M will not go into somebody’s pocket other than what it is intended for. And besides, they were the ones (Tans) who organized the abaca farmers.”

“Please don’t put political colors into our program. It will not be good for the LGUs.”

At the press conference in Sogod he had said in the presence of Mayor Tan, “local political divisiveness has taken its toll on me although I understand being a former local politician. After here I will be with another audience telling the same thing when I should be telling this at one time.”



<< Prev 1 2 399 100 101 Next >>
alleged drug pusher killed, October 24, 2016, 6:32 pm

Its a go for Weesam Express, August 2, 2016, 11:28 am

Weesam Express to ply Maasin-Cebu route, July 27, 2016, 3:11 am

Your Link to the regional weather outlook for Tacloban, Leyte, Philippines
LEYTE   >>


Your Link to Webionic Designs & Internet Solutions

Your link to Ampil Pensione Online Information

Your Link to MaasinCity.Com Website
Immigration >>
MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation, August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

OFW >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

Scrap terminal fees for OFWs, court asked, October 29, 2014, 6:57 pm

OFWs take risks in Libya, August 5, 2014, 9:35 am

Life Abroad >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

MEGAN YOUNG CROWNED MISS WORLD 2013, September 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

7,000 OFWs in Jeddah seek repatriation, August 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

Headlines >>
Thousands of OFWs leave Saudi, March 22, 2016, 11:05 am

 © Copyright 2014-2015 The Reporter and its licensors.  All rights reserved.
      Web programming and Internet presence by Webionic.Com
About Us | Contact Us | Archive | Privacy Guidelines | Terms of Service